The office of the Tax Collector is responsible for collection of the Ad Valorem taxes on real property, personal property, mobile homes, automobiles, motorcycles, motor homes, trailers and airplanes, privilege taxes on vehicles, vending machines, amusement machines and business license, as well as garbage fees, then to disburse the taxes to the proper entities.
The best times to visit the Tax Collectors office is during the middle of the week, the busiest time are Monday & Friday and after holidays. We are located in the Courthouse on the 1st floor. Our office hours are Monday-Friday, 8am-5pm.
Note: If your tag is expired or you have not paid your garbage fee, you CAN NOT renew online.
Note: If your tag is renewed online, it will be mailed to the address on your registration record. You CAN NOT request it to be mailed elsewhere.
- New Year's Day – 1st Day (2)
- Martin Luther King's and Robert E. Lee's Birthday – 3rd Monday
- George Washington's Birthday – 3rd Monday
- Good Friday
- National Memorial Day / Jefferson Davis' Birthday – Last Monday
- Independence Day – July 4
- Labor Day – 1st Monday
- Armistice Day (Veterans Day) – 11th Day (1)(2)
- Thanksgiving Day – The day of Thanksgiving is fixed by proclamation by the Governor and shall be fixed to correspond to the date proclaimed by the President of the United States. (Section 3-3-7, Mississippi Code of 1972, Annotated.) The Governor at his discretion, designates any additional day)s_ for further observance of the Thanksgiving Season by the same proclamation.(3)
- Christmas Day – 25th Day in addition to Christmas Day, any day(s) designated, at the Governor's discretion, for the observance of the Christmas Season are fixed proclamation by the Governor. (1)(2)(3)
Reference: Section 3-3-7, Mississippi Code of 1972, Annotated (Amended in regular Session 1987, effective from and after passage March 20, 1987.
(1)Section 25-1-97, Mississippi Code of 1972, Provides that holidays which fall on Saturday or Sunday may be observed by state agencies on the following Monday.
(2) Section 25-1-99, Mississippi Code of 1972, provides that county courthouses may be closed on Friday in observance of state holidays which fall on Saturday, or closed on Monday for holidays which fall on Sunday, (Amended in Regular Session 1988, to become effective July 1, 1988).
(3) (All other state holidays notices are posted by the Secretary of State pursuant to Section 3-3-7 and 25-1-97, Mississippi Code of 1972, Annotated).
P.O. Box 5205 | Meridian, MS 39302
Property Tax – 601.482.9895
Heavy Trucks – 601.483.7637
Mobile Homes – 601.482.9789
Garbage – 601.482.9793
Tags – 601.482.9786
Hours: Monday-Friday | 8am-5pm
Please provide your Ad Volorem exemption upon renewal by emailing the form to: email@example.com
Note: You will be leaving this site when clicking the links below.